- Break the second most important computer in the office. CHECK
- Make it all better. CHECK
My sysadmin wanna be self made a big mistake today. To sum it up:
- 2004, we got a server and joined our PCs to its domain “server1”
- 2008, Rebuilt server with the domain “server2”
- 2008-2014, Didn’t want to loose any setting for “User1” on computer “XP1”, so we kept logging in as Server1/User1
- 2014, Tried to solve networking issues by connecting XP1 to WORKGROUP.
- 2014, Discovered that workgroup connected computers CANNOT log in to a domain!
- 2014, Could not rejoin the “server1” domain since we no longer have that server.
- 2014, Could not even login to XP1 . The local machine usernames and passwords were lost long before I started working here.
I can not guarantee that my way was the best way, but it worked and in the end that is what matters.
- Working, internet connected computer that can burn CDs. (USB key should work too)
- Freshly broken, internet connected WindowsXP Pro computer
- 2 blank CDs
- External harddrive (or other storage device)
- (( Original server was Win2k3 SBS – Windows 2003 Small Business Server. Not that it really matters ))
Our first step was to backup important files from our computer. Just in case something goes wrong. For this, I created a bootalbe KASPERSKY antivirus disk and ran it in GUI mode. (where it works kinda like Windows xp)
- Boot into Kaspersky
Migrate over old profile
Create new user
((( this is a draft. the most important notes are here but I will add more details when I get time. ))